ASK QUESTIONS!

Several members of the LSU faculty have made themselves available to answer your questions through this site, so take advantage of it! post your question in any of the comment areas, and we'll get it to an expert right away. Feel free to send us an email adress, or we may post the answer for everyone to benefit!

ATTENTION!

This is NOT a site for specific medical consultation
No physician will be able to diagnose or provide specific treatment advise through this site.
See your physician with specific questions about what is best for you!

Monday, February 16, 2009

Dr. Richter visits the Westwego Rotary

Dr. Richter recently presented an overview of new programs and community partnerships that LSU neurosurgery is bringing to the New Orleans area. He highlighted the new Movement Disorders and Deep Brain Stimulation Programs at West Jefferson Hospital, the Epilepsy Unit, which completes the only level 4 Epilepsy Center in the state, and the complex pain surgery program, which complements the existing pain services throughout the region.

If you would be interested in having an LSU faculty member speak to your community group, let us know!

2 comments:

  1. I moved into our house 8 yrs ago and developed Epilepsy and other illnesses. No medicine would help control the Epilepsy, so Dr. Bruce Fisch and Dr. Michael Carey at LSU did a Tempral Lobectomy in December 2004. I went 3 1/2 yrs. without seizures, and in May 2008 I had my 1st Grand Mal. (My family was also getting sick a lot ranging from constant phnemonia, allergies, abdominal pain, headachs, etc.) When my 2008 seizure happened, I had been in my daughter's room for 6 hrs. cleaning for her new furnisher. Next thing I know, I had another seizure. Then is September 2008 my daughter (who was sick with phnemonia and trouble breathing year round) had 7 grand mals in only a couple of hours. After she was okay and released from Ocshner Hospital in New Orleans, my husband and I decided to get our house tested. It is 85% contaminated with molds in floor, 45% contaminated in the interior of the house and 40% on the exterior of the house. We were told that my daughter's room is the most contaminated room. We moved in with family and are trying to build a new house on our property. We are in the process of getting out the few things we can keep before we tear the house down. On May 12, 2009, while I was in the house, my daughter's bedroom door got opened and within an hour, I had another Grand Mal seizure. Now my family won't let me back in the house and I can't blame them. The things I've studied on the internet about toxic mold illnesses states on several sites that mold can cause epileptic like seizures that no medicines will control while you stay in the contaminated areas. Now that my daughter and I are out of that house and a lot of my family's illnesses have been disappearing, does she have a good chance of the epilepsy going away?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment. You brought up a very interesting topic. We are currently getting the opinion of Dr. Olejniczak, the director of Epilepsy Center. The results of the interview will be posted and discussed here soon.

    ReplyDelete